Tuesday, December 11, 2012

I Have a What?!

Having the HSG was not a pleasant experience.  Once I was finally moved into the x-ray room after sitting behind a curtain in the hallway wearing nothing but a hospital gown and a sheet draped around my waist, I was just ready to get it over with and go home.  I laid there on the table, my eyes glued to the screen so that I could get the first glimpse in case anything was wrong.  I watched the dye fill my uterus, and I remember thinking it didn't look quite right. I heard my RE say some medical mumbo jumbo to the x-ray technician, and it was in that moment that I knew for a fact something was wrong.  After the technician left, and as I lay there, shivering more from nervousness than being cold, my RE told me I basically had half of a uterus and one fallopian tube.


Immediately I began to sob.  Of course, I thought the worst.  Half a uterus? One fallopian tube? That can't be a good thing.  I just knew it meant we would never get pregnant.  I thought I was doomed to be childless for the rest of my life, never knowing how it would feel to hold my own child in my arms.  To my surprise, though, my RE assured me that it didn't have an impact on my ability to get pregnant.  Now, four days later, I still can't quite wrap my mind around it.

Do I have two ovaries? One? I really don't know yet, and won't until I have an ultrasound.  Apparently I may also only have one kidney, because the kidneys form at the same time as the uterus during pregnancy.  I remember asking my doctor what exactly this congenital birth defect would mean for me. He explained that it will likely result in two things: 1) early labor by approximately 2-4 weeks and 2) a breech baby.  Both of these are due to the limited amount of space in my uterus.  

I know this diagnosis isn't the worst possible thing that could have happened.  I know there is much worse news I could have heard.  Despite that fact, I still feel crushed.  I feel somehow as though I am less of a woman.  Maybe that's silly, but it's how I feel.  Currently, I am praying that what my RE told me is correct. 

No comments:

Post a Comment