Monday, December 10, 2012

Just the Beginning

For as long as I can remember, I have looked forward to having children, and I think working as a teacher and being around kids every day has only further fueled that desire.  Before J and I officially started trying to conceive, I had this fear that I would be one of the unlucky ones - one of the ones who suffered from infertility and would struggle to get pregnant.

In the beginning of our journey, I told myself I was being completely irrational.  I had no real reason to think we would have any trouble getting pregnant, besides my previous diagnosis of hypothyroidism.  That was under control, though,  thanks to a daily dose of Synthroid.

Of course, it seemed as if once we started trying, some switch turned on (or maybe off?), and my cycles decided to get a little bit crazy.  In fact, over the past year, my average cycle length was 42 days, my longest cycle a whopping 55 days long. Luckily, I was able to confirm ovulation through my obsession with OPKs and temping each morning, and we always had great timing.

Excellent timing didn't seem to matter much when cycle after cycle, test after test, was negative.  After a year of trying, my worries suddenly weren't feeling quite so irrational, and I made an appointment with an RE, hopeful that we would figure out what, if anything, was wrong.

My first appointment went great.  They took about a million vials of blood, looked at my charts, and ordered a bunch of other tests - semen analysis, post-coital test, and an HSG.  The blood results were normal, but my Synthroid dosage had to be upped a bit. We are still working on getting the other tests completed, but I did have the HSG test on Friday.

I was hopeful going into it.  I thought more than likely everything would look fine.  At the very least I figured maybe one tube was blocked.  What I learned was probably the most shocking thing I could have ever expected to hear... I only have half a uterus and one fallopian tube, otherwise known as an unicornuate uterus.

No comments:

Post a Comment