Sunday, February 24, 2013

CD 5: Wonderful Weekend

This weekend has been just what I needed - lots of relaxation with J. I don't usually post about anything besides our struggles with IF, so I figured I should probably include some other (less depressing) updates every once in a while!

Friday we had dinner at my favorite Mexican restaurant, La Paz. Ya know, since it was National Margarita Day and all. I guess that's one perk of not being pregnant yet! It was delicious! We were going to go see Silver Linings Playbook but ended up deciding to just go home and watch some shows we had recorded.

Saturday we got lunch with J's granddaddy, brother, and his brother's girlfriend. We got Chinese, which isn't my favorite, but it was actually pretty good. We didn't do a whole lot else, but I got to take a long nap that was much needed.

Today has been the best day of the weekend. I always love Sundays because they leave me feeling so refreshed. We went to our usual church service at 8:00 AM. Can I just say I love our church. I'm thankful for an incredible worship experience and a pastor that isn't afraid to speak the truth when he feels it needs to be heard. After church we went to breakfast at Another Broken Egg Cafe. So good! We hadn't eaten there before, but I'm glad we decided to try it out! Afterwards we ran some errands... Target for new sheets, Publix for our weekly groceries, and CVS for the awesome deals! 

Which brings me to my next topic... I love couponing. I used to do it awhile back and stopped (stupid), and recently got started back up again. At Publix we spent around $32 and saved $62! Then, at CVS, we spent around $4 for $58 worth of products before tax (the items pictured below) and left with 21 extra bucks to use for next time. So, we basically ended up with a $17 profit!


And finally, because it's such a beautiful day outside - sunny, low 60s, not a cloud in the sky - J and I took a walk through the park. I need to remember the good days like these when I'm feeling upset about our infertility, because even though I still long for a baby of our own, we are truly blessed with the life we lead. 

2 comments:

  1. I try to do the coupon thing but I never get how people save so much money? I mean I sometimes get coupons for stuff I need and use them but not always gggrrr and I guess I don't get buying stuff I don't need am I missing some secret coupon site? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there are a couple of tricks to saving so much that I've kind of had to learn over time...
      1) Definitely only buy stuff you will actually use. That doesn't necessarily mean that you need it right then, but that you will need it/use it eventually. For example, I bought shampoo at CVS this week and don't need any right now. However, when I run out, I will have some that I got really cheap, which will keep me from having to go out and buy some at full price.

      2) You can't be "brand loyal." In other words, you kind of have to be willing to buy what's on sale. Again with the shampoo example, I am currently using Pantene, but the shampoo I bought yesterday was Neutrogena. So, that's what I'll be using when I run out!

      3) Use coupons combined with the sales. If you just cut out coupons from ads from products you "typically" buy, you won't save a whole lot. On the other hand, if you use coupons for things that are already on sale, you will end up saving a ton. Publix is especially great in this regard with their BOGO deals, because the items are already half price, and they let you use one manufacturer's coupon and one Publix (or competitor) coupon per item. Plus, they double any manufacturer's coupons up to $.50. So, for example, a $.35 coupon would be worth $.70.

      Anyway, it's a lot of work, but I use 2 sites that are really helpful: www.southernsavers.com and www.iheartpublix.com. They match up all the coupons with the ongoing ads for you, so it meakes it a little easier.

      Sorry for the book - it's a lot to explain! :)

      Delete