Tuesday, July 2, 2013

CD 10: Post-Op Appointment

I just got back from my post-op appointment a little bit ago, and everything is looking great! I did learn a few new things about the surgery. First, Dr. S. said that more than likely the polyps, which were about 1 cm each, had formed after my HSG that was done in November, as he didn't see them on the x-ray then. He said that they can make it more difficult to get pregnant, but they weren't necessarily the reason the clomid didn't work. Second, I ovulated from my right ovary last cycle (BOO!! My tube is on the other side!). Most importantly, though, the polyps were benign! Praise God! I had a dream last week that I found out they were cancerous and had to have my uterus removed. Yeah, I definitely woke up crying. It sucked. 

I am also happy to say that we have a plan for next cycle! On CD 1 I need to call to schedule an appointment for CD 3 to have blood work and an ultrasound. If everything looks good, I will start Bravelle injections (150 iu). I think it's from CD 4-9, but I will find out more when I go in on CD 3. Depending on how everything looks, they will adjust my dosage, and when everything looks good, I will give myself a trigger shot. About 36 hours after that I will go in for an IUI. 

So, even though I am happy we have a plan, I'm also really nervous for a lot of reasons. For one thing the Bravelle is going to be a lot more expensive than clomid. I am so, so thankful that my insurance covers up to 8 IUIs and 50% of the medication (up to a $2,500 lifetime max), but that $2,500 will run out pretty quickly if the first IUI isn't successful... and so will OUR money. The whole money thing makes me uneasy just because if it doesn't work, it will feel like we threw a bunch of money down the drain. 

Another reason I'm nervous is the fact that I have to give myself shots. Luckily needles don't really make me queasy or anything, but, I dunno... I'm not any kind of medical professional. I have a DVD to watch that Dr. S. gave me today, so maybe watching that will make me feel a bit better.

I'm nervous because there is a 20% chance of multiples, and that's just scary for me knowing that I only have half a uterus.

And... most of all, I'm nervous because this is one step closer to IVF. And, I mean, what if it doesn't work? Then what? Dr. S. said IVF runs around $12,000. We definitely don't have that kind of money just lying around. Sometimes it seems so unfair that some people have to pay so much money to have a baby, yet others (including those not so deserving) get pregnant for free.

Anyway, I am choosing to be optimistic that this new plan will work for us and I will be happily pregnant in the near future!

2 comments:

  1. So glad everything turned out ok :) I agree, it seems so unfair. Our insurance doesn't cover anything as far as treatment goes or believe me I would have already at least tried IUI. Praying this IUI works for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm sorry your insurance doesn't cover anything... I can't imagine being completely OOP. I know I need to be more grateful for the coverage we do have!

      Delete